Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

The one that got away

The one that got away

By May Kwek

For years I have been chasing butterflies
Both in the afternoon and morning light
Watching them as they glide and fly
Studying their lovely flight

During all those years
I just seemed to know where they were
What would start them and cause them fear
What would let me draw near

So a few years ago
When school rules became more lax
I started to photograph them
As they sun bath and relax

I took many photos this way
Even of some I have never seen
Some which I never hoped I would
Even in my dreams

Then today I saw yet another
That I have never seen before
Pointed it out to my mother and father
And saw it standing tall

Then as I took out my camera
It quickly flew away
I followed it and tried harder
But still it wouldn't stay!

Then at last
I supposed I must have blinked
It was gone
Like a leaf in the wind!

I had not a clue
Where it went
I searched but could not find it
And I couldn't understand

Where on earth did it go?
The one that got away?
Really, where did it go?
And how did it get away?

Copyright © 2014 by May Kwek


No comments: