Pages

Monday, October 8, 2018

The Train Station

The Train Station

By May Kwek

I wait at the station
My ticket in my hand
For this paper tears and sweat
And years of my life were spent

So now I can take a train
And go off into the unknown
To the places I’ve never seen
And every hope that’s grown

A train arrives clad in gold
It brightly shimmers and shines
Surely it must go somewhere
Really great and fine

I hand the conductor my ticket
He does not allow me inside
For he says my ticket
For this train isn’t right

So with regret I watch the train go
And vanish into the mists
And wait for yet another
Certain there’ll be nothing amidst

A train of silver comes
Sparkling like a dime
I hand the conductor my ticket
But this train isn’t mine

So I go back to waiting
Watching people come and go
So many board, all going somewhere
While I am waiting so

Stuck on the platform
Watching wrong trains go pass
Platinum, diamond, even lead
Hoping they’ll be mine at last

But they’re not and I have to watch
As I stay despondently still
Watching as people move on and go
And wondering if I ever will

Again and again I try
But the answer always seems to be
“This train does not go where you’re going”
“So wait for the next please”

So I wait and I wait
Agony eating at my soul
I’ve spent my life on this ticket
Is it as worthless as fools’ gold?

But each conductor tells me wait
The train that is mine will pass
For surely this stillness in time
Cannot forever last

And finally a train rolls in
Its carriages beaten and old
I hesitatingly hand in my ticket
And up on board I go

Surely there must be some mistake
This train is a wreck
I did not work for years
To ride in something like that!

But then the train leaves the station
And where others turn right it goes left
Out of the concealing mists
That leave so many bereft

It leaves it all behind
And ahead I see fields of gold
Oh. Now I understand
That’s where I’m meant to go

Copyright © 2018 by May Kwek

No comments: