Pages

Monday, October 8, 2018

Mars


Mars

By May Kwek

Lightning strikes, the wind blows
The leaves on high are laid down low
And in the gap of sky amongst the stars
There shines alone, the planet Mars

Silent it watches the battle below
A flash and with it, a million souls
Cries and shouts as the thunder roars
Agony, pain and so much more

The battle rages and men cry
Spirits wilt and spirits die
To overcome the need to flee
Seems beyond a soul like me

I look up, up to the sky!
To Mars shining aloof on high
And as I girdle myself to run and flee
I tell Mars sometimes it’s destiny

It remains silent, it won’t reply
Nor descend from the night sky
There’s no change in its red light
As it shines on the battle tonight

Yet as it gazes down on the field
I feel a spirit that will not yield
Always strong in the face of pain
Which falls only to stand again

Down it looks, down on me
And in its light there glows eternity
And a strength within I gain
To raise the sword once again

Mars! Mars! That unconquerable soul
Shining on high to those below
Unmoved by fears whatever the age
The shining hope of courage

Copyright © 2018 by May Kwek

No comments: