Pages

Monday, August 20, 2018

The Bridge


The Bridge

By May Kwek

Here on the forest bridge
I quietly sit and stare
At the leaves and the rippling stream
At the life everywhere

Some children run pass me
Waving as they go
Off they are to adventures
Daring, brave and bold

A young man returns
His eyes determined and grave
He is off to make his fortune
He says so as he waves

A young couple then come by
Lost in each other’s eyes
They don’t see me in their dreaming
But that is no surprise

The moss grows on the stones
As the people come and go
From budding leaves to summer flowers
Autumn leaves turn cold

Till at last an old man comes
And sits by my side
Looking about him in wonder
At all in his sight

“It’s beautiful” he says
In a voice soft and low
“How have I never seen this?
For I’ve passed here often so”

And so we sit side by side
Where the river’s song does not cease
And there on the bridge between moments
We rest in contented peace

Copyright © 2018 by May Kwek

No comments: